On September 16th, the second session of Parent Workshop of this semester was held, with the theme of The College and Career Preparation Path. The workshop was presented by Mr. Carlos Arboleda, our Student Service Director and College Counselor.
Mr. Arboleda first gave an overview of the roles played by BIS College Counsellors, students and parents respectively. Then, accompanied with the introduction of university requirements, he also gave a guideline of basic procedures the college counsellors are carrying out at BIS.
As the college counselling process starts from Grade 9 in our school, Mr. Arboleda gave a specific suggested plan for Grade 9, 10, 11 and 12 respectively.
- Among which he mentioned the extreme importance of the certificate of IB Diploma as well as the graduation certificate from BIS, as both BIS, a IB Continuum School and IBDP, one of the most worldly recognized high-school curriculums, are widely recognized by universities around the world:
- Complete IB Diploma, all HL/some SL courses will be considered for first-year credits.
- IB students routinely gain admission to some of the best-known universities in the world. Class of 2020 who has just graduated has been enrolled with top universities around the world.
In addition to IBDP, some other worldly recognized tests are also recommended:
- Start from this year, students are able to take PSAT and SAT exams at BIS.
- As we provide IGCSE and AP courses, students are also encouraged to take these exams.
- Students can take standard tests like TOEFL and IELTS as well.
Afterwards, parents were also given some useful tips as they play an essential role in college application procedure. During this challenging time of COVID-19 pandemic, Mr. Arboleda also presented his idea of how to choose for the future.
Student Services Director
It is the 19th year in education for Carlos Arboleda. He graduated from the University of Redlands in Southern California with a bachelor’s degree in integrated studies and a master’s in education counselling. His inspirations for entering the professional field of education have been the dedicated teachers in his life, his high school counsellor, college professors, and a drive to reciprocate the exemplary service they provided. He has a passion for innovative and inclusive education, striving for excellence, and contributing to vibrant academic communities. His personal hobbies include taijiquan, music production, and of course, working with students to realize their vision as contributors to an advancing global society.
The next session of Parent Workshop will be held on September 23rd. Our PYP Coordinator Mr. David Bremner will bring “Home Learning at BIS (Elementary School)”. Welcome to attend.