- Dedicated team of ELL professionals led by Ms. Kim Peters, Head of ELL and World Languages, a polyglot who speaks English, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and German and attains 7 degrees including two masters degrees (Economics and Education) from4 different countries in 4 different languages.
- At Boston International School, we provide ELL support for students from EY4 to G10. With both “pull out” and “push in” support, we utilize multiple internationally recognized testing tools that are aimed at helping teachers identify and focus on individual student needs.
- Primary School is running a Phonic Program. With both Phonics and ELL program, students are able to learn English language from a wide perspective.
- In Secondary School, ELL program is designed and developed based on students’ curriculum, which smoothly prepare students for future curriculum learning.
- ELL students will receive their detailed report at the end of each phase. Meanwhile, all students at BIS will attend New Group Reading Test each semester to test their English language level.
- We also provide ELL clubs in B.E. Program as extra-curriculum activities.
From Ms. Kim Peters
New Korean students from Grade 6 to Grade 10 have had a great start at Boston International School despite that they have been going through difficult times due to COVID-19. They have never used ManageBac and were not familiar with independent learning through online. However, all students have taken this opportunity not only toenhance their English skills but also to become more IB Learners such as Inquirers, Communicators, Principled, Open-minded, Risk-takers and Reflective.
The main themes of the ELL Course for our new Korean students were personal world and changing the world.
ELL ManageBac Course
Submission of students’ work (look at these early submissions!)
Quizizz Vocabulary Competition
Quizlet Daily Vocabulary Self-Study and Self-Test.
They were able to get a lot of help in improving their basic English skills through the online ELL that prepared by the school. They even received 1 on 1 feedback and guidance from the teacher to overcome their shortcomings.
I hope that Corona ends as soon as possible, and hope to see you all on campus in good health condition.
-G9 Jung Sung A, G10 Jung Sunghoon’s mom
2. The teacher and students are keeping good communication and the class is being conducted in a bright atmosphere, so the child is very satisfied.
3. It was so nice to see them encouraging and supporting children in a new environment called online learning.
-G9 Ryu, Juhyeon’s mom
However, the online system is well established and the teachers also teach well through video or mail, so I am satisfied that the my kids can adapt well.
– G8 Kim,Haeon’s mom